Monday 21 January 2013

From the Beginning





 These are my final pieces from my national diploma exhibition at Cleveland College of Art and Design, where I studied Design Crafts for two years from 2009 to 2011. The exhibition was up for two weeks and I won an internal college award for the best show as voted for by students. I sold all but one of these pieces.

I thought I should start this blog with some old work and try and give it some order as it will be a mixture of everything I'm doing, work towards my degree, my own work, the designs and products for my shop which I hope to be setting up by the end of this year, presents for people, old work that I've found in mine or my parents houses and one off commissions. So I cant really imagine there will be much order to it.
This project started with me  looking at French decorations, this ranged from buildings to furniture, to lingerie, and anything ornate that i thought would fit nicely with my theme. After a lot of drawing, researching and designing I came up with these pieces, four sets of ceramic underwear positioned in plaster frames I had cast and I huge hand made lampshade with my own print on it all stitched by hand. The pieces and the was they were displayed showed how over the top we can be when it comes to decoration and how we buy and create things for people to look at and admire and even get envious about. The piece had the biggest space in the show and it was the first thing that anyone saw when they came into the room, it was well lit and clean and I was very pleased with it.
I left this college in 2011 a few weeks after the show with three distinctions and an A in textiles, the highest grade possible. I then went on to study Decorative Arts at Nottingham Trent University.  






No comments:

Post a Comment